Re: envy24ht: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 broken (FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT/AMD64)

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:44:16 +0100
Konstantin Dimitrov wrote:
> did you try the latest version, that has volume control in software
> (both mixer vol and mixer pcm works):
>
> http://envy24.svobodno.com/driver/envy24ht/current/envy24ht.c
>
> probably OSS driver do software volume in software too.
>
> On 2/19/07, O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Konstantin Dimitrov wrote:
>> > hi Oliver,
>> >
>> > all Envy24 chips from the VT172X family like Envy24GT (VT1722) don't
>> > feature volume control, so the sound volume can be controlled in
>> > hardware only by the DAC (in you case AK4358), so it seems that the
>> > problem is 'low outputlevel of the soundhardware', which is strange,
>> > because my Envy24HT (VT1724) based card has very loud output and it
>> > uses the same OP AMPs like Revo 5.1: JRC 4580, however the DAC is
>> > different, my card has WM8770, but let's see if the volume control in
>> > software will help.
>> >
>> > later i will make and mail to you  test code, that will route the
>> > sound to the other outputs of the card and we will see if they're more
>> > loud than the front output.
>> >
>> > best wishes,
>> > konstantin

>> Revo 5.1
>> it set
>> should

>> volume

>> some

>> that is
>> access to

>> support,

>> that

>> output

>> soundhardware?

>> do my

>> Hello Konstantin.
>> Maybe this is of use for you. I just got the newest RC4 OSS driver from
>> 4Front and tried it. The oss driver still let X11 and/or the box die
>> after a while, but I can play sound at the expected volume level! This
>> shows me that there is no hardware defetive present.
>>
>> Due to the fact I'm not familiar with driver development on FreeBSD or
>> anyhow in that subject, I can not provide further and deeper insights.
>>
>> Let me know if you're prepared handing me over code.
>>
>> Nearby, vlc sometimes has problems switching from MONO to STEREO and
>> vice versa, the sound sounds like a bit 'echoed'.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver

Sorry, Konstantin,
I didn't. At this moment, I'm at my office's system and don't have
access to my private box, I'll check this in the evening and report.

Best wishes,
Oliver

P.S. Just a stupid question: are the DACs of the M-Audio Revo 5.1
capable of beeing initiated by an entry level of volume (or current in
this aspect)? Maybe such a default level is choosen too low?