Re: Unable to use network early in boot with recent -current

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:04:50 -0800
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:16:35 -0600
> From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org>
>
> On 02/20/07 17:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > My laptop running current of Feb. 9 seems to be unable to configure and
> > use a network interface early in the startup process.
> >
> > I use Tobias Roth's profile script to determine where my laptop is
> > located and to configure it appropriately. This is done by setting an
> > address on an interface and trying to ping a known neighbor (usually a
> > router).
> >
> > This worked on systems built through Jan. 25, but now attempting to do
> > this right after root is mounted RW, I get "sendto: permission denied".
> > I get this at any point in the startup prior to netif.  This is in
> > single user mode, so this is quite baffling to me, although I realize
> > that this method is unorthodox (and certainly not supported), but it
> > has always worked and I don't see what broke it.
> >
> > Any ideas of what might be going on?
>

> Firewall rules?

Please ignore my prior message. I just tried and "ipfw list" shows the
single default deny rule, "65535 deny ip from any to any". I have no
idea why this is in effect at this early in the startup process...long
before the firewall rules are loaded. Guess I will stop loading ipfw at
boot time and let the startup file load it.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)