Re: 6.0-RC1 on Promise SX4060 (SETFEATURES FAILURE, READ timed out)

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:41:27 +1300
Martin Ziegler wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Did you solve your problem about the promise sx4060
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-November/057621.htm
> l )? Google doesn't show me a solution :(
>
> I've got the same error messages (FAILURE - SET FEATURES TRANSFER MODE timed
> out...)with FreeBSD 6.1-Release on a HP X2000 (Workstation) with the promise
> sx4060 and two Seagates ST3160012A drives.

I received a mail privately with a solution for this. It appears that
the 64MB DIMM shipped with the card is the problem. Specifically, it
seems any *registered* ECC DIMM will exhibit the problem. The fix
appears to be substituting an ECC but not registered one of 128MB or bigger.

I tried reproducing this, but I've only got registered ECC or non-ECC
DIMMS. Trying a non-ECC worked perfectly *once*, and then the card
refused to load the SX4060 BIOS thereafter... so the indicated solution
looks promising (intentional pun). If I can get hold of an ECC
unregistered DIMM I'll check properly.

Thanks to Freddy (freddyk at volja.net) for finding this out.

Incidentally (and disappointingly) no thanks at all to Promise support
who gave him the single fingered salute when he asked them about the
DIMM issue....

regards

Mark