Re: Unable to use network early in boot with recent -current

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:19:36 -0800
> From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:58:14 -0500
>
> On Thursday 22 February 2007 02:29, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> > >
> > > This should already happen if you "set kernel" to kernel.old and
> > > then "boot".
> > >

> > I set the kernel variable in loader.conf, so that I can have multiple
> > kernels installed and choose which kernel to boot the next time the
> > server is booted.
> >
> > /boot/loader.conf
> > #kernel="kernel_p4_debug"
> > kernel="kernel_debug"
> >
> > hp010# sysctl -a | grep kernel
> > kern.bootfile: /boot/kernel_debug/kernel
> > kern.module_path: /boot/kernel_debug;/boot/modules
>
> You can also just do 'boot foo' at the loader prompt, and it is the same as
> doing:
>
> unload all
> set kernel=foo
> boot
>
> I use this all the time to boot test kernels.

John,

Thanks for the confirmation.

That's what I had always assumed. I, too, have used that method for
years and failed to see that it made any difference.

I have now built a new kernel (with modules) from the sources back on
December and I am no longer getting the warnings about the module being
newer than the linker.hints file. I am totally baffled as to what
triggered this as I did confirm that the modules and the linker.hints
file were created at the same time (modulo 1 minute) and I don't see
how this could have gotten messed up.

In any case, Thanks for all of the comments on booting different
kernels. I do this quite often and I'm now pretty sure that I am
doing the right things(TM).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)