Re: PATCH: new acpi embedded controller I/O model

From: Ariff Abdullah <ariff_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:35:08 +0800
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:20:02 -0800
Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org> wrote:
> If you are having EC timeout problems as in the below PR, please try
> the latest EC code.  I just committed it in rev 1.69 of acpi_ec.c to
> -current. Attached is the patch for 6-stable.

> To use it, just recompile your acpi kernel module and load it at
> boot: cd /sys/modules/acpi/acpi && make && cp acpi.ko /
>
> Then at the loader prompt after rebooting:
> > load /acpi.ko
> > boot
>
> You should be able to see battery status and thermal settings via
> "sysctl hw.acpi" as normal.  Check dmesg for any new errors.
>
> If you notice slower performance or get EC "timed out" messages on
> console, you try increasing these sysctls/tunables:
>
> debug.acpi.ec.timeout
> debug.acpi.ec.poll_time
>
> Or turn off this sysctl/tunable, disabling the new burst mode:
> debug.acpi.ec.burst=0
>
> To find any performance problems, you'll need to rebuild the kernel
> and modules with this added to your kernel config:
>
> options KTR
> options KTR_ENTRIES=65536
>
> Then reboot, load this kernel/acpi.ko, use the system for a while to
> trigger the problem behavior and generate output:
> ktrdump -t | gzip -c > ktr.out.gz
>
> This code is pretty well-tested so I expect the only issues we might
> see is it not totally fixing some systems that previously didn't
> work or needing to add some workaround code for systems that don't
> properly support burst mode.

Not quite a success, unless with debug.acpi.ec.burst=0 plus this
additional patch. Even so, the timed out message keep appearing once
in a while though not so frequent as before. In terms of performance,
things are a bit smoother (acpiconf -i 0 works, no longer exhibit
delay or producing timed out messages). Tuning
debug.acpi.ec.timeout/poll_timeout upside-down has no real effect on
eliminating those timed out messages.

Compaq V3000/Turion64 X2.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........