Re: strange crash

From: Anton Berezin <tobez_at_tobez.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 23:00:14 +0100
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:18:12PM -0500, Randall Stewart wrote:

> My "vacation" project was to reload the 80Gig disk that
> came with my Thinkpad T43 with the latest version of
> current...

> I just decided to rebuild and reload my latest kernel changes I am
> working on for SCTP.. and for the first time I did the logout button.
>
> Bam.. black-screen.. and reboot.

I have the same experience with my T-43, but only when there is a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf present.  If I just start X without configuration,
everything's fine and dandy.  With configuration, ANY configuration (I had
to build some to work with external monitor, with presentation projector,
that sort of thing), I get exactly the symptoms you describe.

It's been like that since I got the machine in the beginning of August.
It's been running moderately recent -current (never older than a month or
so).  I did not got around reporting this.

So, just for the sake of it: move /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way, sync
and wait, do your reboot magic, then see whether it works.

\Anton.
--
We're going for 'working' here. 'clean' is for people with skills...
-- Flemming Jacobsen