ULE 2.0

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 01:11:59 -0800 (PST)
Hello everyone,

After a considerable vacation from ULE I have come back to address some
long standing concerns.  I felt that the old double-queue mechanism caused
very unnatural behavior and have finally come up with something I'm happy
to replace it with.  I've been working on this off and on for several
months now.  Some details are below.  More are at:
http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/3729.html

The version now in CVS(1.172) should restore ULE's earlier interactive
performance under load.  I have tested with a make -j128 kernel while
using mozilla and while playing a dvd.  Neither ever skip for
me.  nice now has a more gradual effect than before.  It no longer allows
the total starvation of processes.  ULE should also be very slightly
faster on UP as compared to before.  SMP behavior should have changed very
little although I did simplify some small parts of these algorithms.  In
general, non-interactive tasks are scheduled much more intelligently
although this may not be apparent under most workloads.

I'm hoping for the following types of feedback from anyone interested in
testing:

1)  Is the response to nice levels as you would hope?  I think nice +20
may not inhibit the nice'd thread enough at the moment.
2)  Is the interactive performance satisfactory?
3)  Is there any performance degredation for your common tasks?
4)  Does the cpu estimator give reasonable results?  See %cpu in top.  It
is expected that there will be periods where summing up all threads will
yield slightly over 100% cpu.

Any and all feedback is welcome.  Please make sure any problem reports are
sent to jroberson_at_chesapeake.net in the to line so I see them more
quickly.

Thanks,
Jeff