Re: Embarking on upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE to 7-CURRENT

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:53:31 -0800
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:55:36 -0800
> From: Garrett Cooper <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> 	Before I do this, I have a few questions; I know that the bulk
> majority of the documentation for my questions may exist online or in
> /usr/src/UPDATING, but I was just curious of the major changes that I
> can expect between 6 and 7:
>
> 1. What scheduler is currently the most complete for SMP/multi-core
> capable processors?

4BSD is stable and works well. Jeff R just committed a major overhaul
of ULE and it MAY now perform a bit better and has been reported to be
stable, now. But it is still experimental
d a work in p progress.

> 2. Do I need to add some sort of compatibility layer for 6 going to 7
> (similar to compat_5)?

There is COMPAT_FREEBSD6, but there is no compat_6x port at this
time. Due to the instability of ABIs in current, be prepared to do a
lot of port building.

> 3. What are (briefly) some of the major changes for the ABI/API going
> from 6 to 7? Someone mentioned some changes to the ABI when I emailed
> the hackers_at_ list previously, so I was just curious.

Lots of ABI changes. Read /usr/src/UPDATING for the details. ABI changes
should all be mentioned there.

> 4. How is SATA support for SIS motherboards under 7? Decent?

No idea. I have neither a SIS mobo or a SATA system.

> 5. Is 7 running gcc-4.x?

Not yet, but it should be coming fairly soon.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)