Re: Embarking on upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE to 7-CURRENT

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 23:00:13 -0800
Garrett Cooper wrote:
> 	Before I do this, I have a few questions; I know that the bulk
> majority of the documentation for my questions may exist online or in
> /usr/src/UPDATING, but I was just curious of the major changes that I
> can expect between 6 and 7:

It's generally considered polite to read those docs that you know
about first before asking on a public list.

> 1. What scheduler is currently the most complete for SMP/multi-core
> capable processors?

One of the guidelines for running -current is to stay abreast of the
-current list. This questions leads me to believe that you might want
to spend a little more time reading the list before you jump.

> 2. Do I need to add some sort of compatibility layer for 6 going to 7
> (similar to compat_5)?

As someone else said, you're better off just rebuilding all your
ports. In -current things break sometimes, A[BP]Is change, so being
required to rebuild formerly working ports is par for the course. It's
one of the reasons that I wrote sysutils/portmaster.

hth,

Doug