Re: Can't unlock desktop after updating to recent -current

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:47:51 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> I recently updated my machine to -current, however I can nolonger unlock my
> desktop - I have to manually kill the kdesktop_lock process.
>
> I've recompiled kdebase but it had no effect. I plan to try kdelibs soon.
>
> Is this a known issue?

Yes -- Peter recently ran into this, and John did a bit of debugging.
Andre's work to optimize socket send may have broken 0-byte writes on stream
sockets.  My recent commit of the zerosend regression test is intended to help
encourage fixing it.  :-)  I've not investigated exactly why KDE performs
zero-byte writes on a stream socket, but it could be it's sending ancillary
data but no normal data.  Whether it's legitimate or not, we should fix this,
however.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge