Zone memory for UMA

From: Randall Stewart <rrs_at_cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:55:06 -0500
Hi all:

Query (with flame suit in place :-D)

Currently the UMA zone's will hold all memory
in them until .. well until the page deamon
runs.. or so the "zone_drain()" comment says.. but
I can't find that connection either. So I guess
not at all :-0

The only zone that seems to get drain'ed is the
zone for ZONE headers it would appear as part
of its destructor ...

So this means we have no real way that I can see
to give back memory to the system.

So.. here is a question..

Should we think about adding some sort of garbage
collector thread.. that could hang around slowly and
periodically look for a zone with large numbers of free
pages... and then drain that zone?

Or maybe this already exists and I just can't find the
connection???

Yes, I know there are pluses and minuses to GC's and
we would have to have a way to turn it on/off as well
as set up thresholds and control its timing...

But it seems to me that it would be something worth
doing...

I am willing to build such a critter .. if folks are interested...

Comments/thoughts (yes even flames)??

Randall Stewart
NSSTG - Cisco Systems Inc.
803-345-0369 <or> 803-317-4952 (cell)