Re: [RFC] mount(8) can figure out fstype

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:55:20 -0500
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 06:49:12AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> great feature. I probably agree that "mount -t auto" might
> be a safer way to implement it, but other than that i'd
> love to have it too.

I understand the motivation for "mount -t auto"....I wanted
to get away from hijacking the "-t" parameter with values
other than an "fstype".  Also, if someone implements the
autofs file system again for FreeBSD, there could be confusion.

My tack for dealing with POLA was to always start with UFS when
iterating through the vfs.conflist sysctl.

I thought that having it as the default behavior if "-t" is not
specified would be nice, especially for people coming from Linux.
When I moved from Linux to FreeBSD, I found it a bit weird that
I needed to specify a "-t" parameter to mount my CD-ROM...and
figuring out that it was -t cd9660, which is not the same as Linux
was odd too. :)

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org