Re: Interesting speed benchmarks

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:53:47 -0800
M. Warner Losh wrote:
> On a lark, I just got a combo USB/Firewire external disk drive.  I ran
> some crude benchmarks, and I was surprised by what I found.  This is
> on a fairly stock -current kernel.
>
> Firewire does around 40MB/s, while USB 2.0 maxes out at about 12MB/s.

Either amd64 is slower than i386, there has been a performance regression
between 6.2-RELEASE and whatever version of FreeBSD you're running, or you
have a rather slow external drive.  I get 25MB/s from my Vantec Nexstar3
USB 2.0 enclosure:

http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006-01-28-vantex-nexstar3.html

Colin Percival