Re: Interesting speed benchmarks

From: Robert Huff <roberthuff_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:21:06 -0500
Ian FREISLICH writes:

>  > >  DUMP: finished in 12961 seconds, throughput 2095 KBytes/sec
>
>  As a random datapoint that might or might not be related.  In the
>  last year or so I was pontificating about how much better SCSI
>  was that IDE/ATA to my boss.  I then did some benchmarks on my
>  (CURRENT) system and discovered that an old 10Gig 7.5krpm UDMA33
>  disk significantly out perform some Seagate Cheatah LVD 10krpm
>  disks.

	In supplemental testing (advised by Peter Jeremy) the disk has
been able to transfer(read) 25 mbytes/sec - sufficient to declare it
not the bottleneck.
	Additional testing will happen, but dump is by far the prime
suspect.

>  Last time I looked, ahc(4) was still under GIANT.

	I noticed that.  Is there any sentiment for pulling it free?
And how much would that help?

				Robert Huff