Re: SCHED_4BSD: More than 1 process running on UP machine?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 03:17:46 +0200
Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded to -CURRENT and am running with SCHED_BSD on an UP machine
> (where ULE has no advantage over BSD, right?)

Right.

> Anyway, I never noticed top(1) under 6.x reporting more than 1 running
> process, which is only natural, considering this is an UP machine. Under

Do you mean the "x running" status message on the second line at the top
of top's display or in the list of processes? The status message can
(and frequently does) show many running processes - in this case these
are processes in the run queue.

I think you're right for the list of processes - only one can be shown
in RUN state on UP.

> 7.x however, top(1) reports up to 7-8 running processes, depending on
> how much stuff is going on.

The kernel in 7.x is SMP by default, so this might influence what you're
seeing. I have a UP 7.x kernel and still see at most one process in RUN
state.

> PS: whats the new state 'ucond' all about?

I think it's from kernel support infrastructure for libthr.