Re: GEOM weirdness with SD flash reader?

From: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck_at_rinet.ru>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 00:37:21 +0400 (MSD)
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Nate Lawson wrote:

NL> > Do you insert your card after reader got initialized? I have internal reader in
NL> > my work machine, and have to use
NL> >
NL> > dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/daN count=0
NL> >
NL> > to [re]initialize GEOM providers on newly inserted card...
NL>
NL> Yes, you're exactly right.  However, shouldn't a read from a device
NL> trigger a re-taste if the media is removable?  So the fdisk of da2
NL> should have caused it to re-read the MBR and create /dev/da2s1.  I think
NL> maybe there should be a flag set for devices with removable media that
NL> causes the device to be re-tasted on every mount request.
NL>
NL> Other ideas how to fix this?

IIRC, former discussion leads to the fact that GEOM prividers list is updated
only after (even empty) write request, not read ones...

AFAIC wind0ze systems are constantly polling removable devices to detect media
changes. Don't know about current Linuces.

Sincerely,
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck_at_rinet.ru ***