Re: Wireless NICs not obeying 'SSID' setting.

From: Kevin Gerry <sfpoof_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:25:48 -0700
Weird, one of the issues it appears I'm having is that when it's set to
-bgscan and roaming device, the device will just get stuck on "no carrier"
and not even attempt to reconnect to the AP it's assigned to.

ral0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:16:b6:XX:XX:XX
        inet 192.168.3.99 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/54Mbps)
        status: no carrier
        ssid router channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g)
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
        protmode CTS roaming DEVICE bintval 100

ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:13:46:XX:XX:XX
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (OFDM/36Mbps)
        status: no carrier
        ssid linksys channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11g)
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 36 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
        protmode CTS burst roaming DEVICE bintval 100

Now, if I ifconfig XXX0 down / up then, I'm associated with the APs
instantly... Until another 2ish hour period then they're back to no carrier.

Any ideas here? I'd point at the AP usually or the NIC... However, these are
two different WLAN cards/chipset/brands and two different APs.