Re: Fixit live cd amd64

From: Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 22:23:56 -0700
If memory serves me right, Ed Schouten wrote:
> * Bruce A. Mah <bmah_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> The Live CD is actually its own disk on amd64 (and maybe one or two
>> other architectures). You want the disk that corresponds to
>> 7.0-CURRENT-200706-amd64-livefs.iso.
>
> Which is, in my opinion, a regression. With previous releases it was
> still possible to perform an installation of FreeBSD by hand. Now you
> need two CD-ROM drives; one with the livefs to boot from and another one
> containing all install sets.

No, that's not true.  You don't boot off the livefs CD...you boot off of
disc1, which also contains all of the installation sets.  The livefs is
used principally for the Fixit feature.  It's perfectly possible to do a
7.0 snapshot installation on amd64 with a single CD and a single CD-ROM
drive; I just did this a few days ago in fact.

It'd be nice if the livefs content could fit onto the first CD, but we
just ran out of space.

Bruce.