Re: Everything (but /boot) on ZFS - trouble

From: Thomas Backman <serenity_at_exscape.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 20:18:15 +0200
On Jul 5, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jul 04), Thomas Backman said:
>>  The FreeBSD wiki entry (http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSOnRoot) is either
>>  outdated or incomplete; or it's just that I have no clue...
>>  In either case, the guide tells me to create a "boot" symlink on
>> the new
>>  partition, but I already have such a file (/boot/boot, not a link):
>>  [root_at_devil ~]# file /boot/boot
>>  /boot/boot: x86 boot sector; partition 4: ID=0xa5, active,
>> starthead 0,
>>  startsector 0, 50000 sectors, code offset 0x3c, reserved sectors
>> 0, Media
>>  descriptor 0x0, reserved 0x16, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x1f)
>>
>>  What to do? I have no idea if this file is needed or not, and how to
>>  proceed. Input is welcome. BTW, I'm new to FreeBSD-CURRENT, and also
>>  quite inexperienced with mailing lists, so be gentle. :)
>
> You should use option two described on that page:
>
>  zfsroot mounted on /, with a boot->bootvol/boot symlink
>  ufs filesystem on /bootvol with boot files in a "boot" subdirectory
>
> I sent an email to Pawel last week talking about this problem, but it
> doesn't look like he's changed the wiki page yet.

Hi again,
Thanks, but it didn't help me much. This time it's definately because
I have no clue though. ;)
I'm doing this in a virtual machine, so adding disks and such is easy.
Understanding it all isn't, though.
I currently have a 7.0-CURRENT machine, with a single disk (ad0)
and ZFS up and running, with no pool.
My goal is, if possible, to create a pool over three (virtual) disks,
using
RAIDZ, and move everything (again, except /boot) there, and have it
all work.
The instructions are quite incomplete, though, and the page doesn't
say if
doing this even should work.

Anyway. Could someone lay out some simple steps? I've tried creating
the new 'a' partition, copying /boot and create a symlink, so far so
good.
Except when I reboot the loader complains about it (I'm guessing because
/boot is a symlink to another partition that it doesn't know about?).
Also, I don't know how to get my stuff over to ZFS - singleuser and
cp -Rp?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas