Code removal - Was Re: Future of the ie(4) driver

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:45:51 +0200
John Baldwin wrote:
> The ie(4) driver in 7.x has several issues.  First of all, it has several
> compiler warnings that haven't been successfully fixed in several years and
> are currently just ignored.  More importantly, it hasn't been updated to use
> more modern FreeBSD APIs like bus_space (still uses inb/outb) and SMPng
> locking.  If someone is using this driver and is willing to test fixes for
> it, then it can be updated.  If there isn't anyone who is using this driver
> and willing to test fixes, then it will be removed from the tree at some
> point in the future (say a month or two).

I reduced "cc: stable_at_freebsd.org, current_at_freebsd.org" to current_at_
& changed "Subject:" so as not to cross post this tangential reply.
  ( BTW I checked, I don't have any hardware that uses "ie" )

What's concerned me increasingly for some time, (& nothing personal
to any individual, (the above just a useful illustration ) is a
tendency in FreeBSD for developers to say:
	~Unless anyone speaks in [time] I will discard [whatever]~
Then months later a new release is rolled, & months later users upgrade, &:
	"Oh my god! they removed the XYZ I use ! ... Aargh!~

So when discarding, it seems best to adopt a policy to warn as
wide a user base as possible, not just developers.
   Not just current_at_ or stable_at_ but at least all of hackers_at_.

   Even then we risk hurting happy users of FreeBSD, eg
   ISPs etc who just don't have time to read hackers_at_ every day.

   Maybe FreeBSD should have a low bandwidth mail list, that managers
   & busy admins could safely subscribe, so they get long warning
   of functional removal ? Such things as eg 16 bit PCMCIA removal
   (after 4.11 before 6.*) would have gone to such a list, etc.

Good PR to keep wider user base informed of planned removals,
& some otherwise unknowing users might then reply
	"OK, I'll install current/ stable on a spare box, & give
	developer(s) access, as I can't afford to lose functionality~

PS Analogy:
  Opening programme in the "Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy":
    The plan to demolish Arthur's house. on display in locked basement,
    The plan to demolish Earth, only filed on Alpha Centauri :-)
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
 HTML mail unseen. Ihr Rauch=mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.