Re: status of 7.0

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 07:29:05 -0700
On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 01:25:45PM +0200, Marc UBM Bocklet wrote:
> I'd like to do some testing, but I'm a little bit afraid of the upgrade
> procedure 6.2-stable to -current. Is it possible to do a simple upgrade
> if I follow the guidelines in UPGRADE or are there any hidden caveats?
> (like "you've to recompile all installed ports", etc. :-))

It hasn't been a problem in my experience to date.

Each of the 4 slices on my laptop is bootable, with its own / and
/usr; the swap space and all other file systems are mounted in the
same logical places in the tree (such as /var and /home --and in
direct response to your query, /usr/local is a symlink to a place
in one of these common file systems).

I just finished building today's STABLE (RELENG_6) on slice 1, then
updated all installed ports that warranted it; I'm now updating today's
CURRENT (HEAD) on slice 4:

g1-1(7.0-C)[1] uname -a
FreeBSD g1-1.catwhisker.org. 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #476: Sat Jul  7 10:00:45 PDT 2007     root_at_g1-1.catwhisker.org.:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386
g1-1(7.0-C)[2]

Up until the recent 802.11 code overhaul, CURRENT had been working
quite well for me, though I normally only run it while I'm building
CURRENT, doing a reality check or two, or some testing for one of the
developers.

Since that point, my miniPCI wi0 NIC won't associate, so I've fallen
back to a PCMCIA an0, which mostly works (but flakes out with a
"kernel: an0: xmit failed" message every once in a while; I've found
that forcing re-association appears to circumvent the connection-dropping
that otherwise results, though that's a gross hack).

And I think I goit through the recent sed(1) issues; there weren't many
changes in CURRENT in the last 24 hrs.  :-}

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.