Re: Patches for updated gvinum

From: Fluffles <etc_at_fluffles.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 12:00:52 +0200
Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gvinum just got better. At least, that's what I hope. Lukas rewrote gvinum to
> use a simpler and easier to handle single-thread event system, and I have been
> adapting existing code to this. The result can be found in the patches here:

Nice to see gvinum get's the facelift it so desperately needed. It's
unfortunate gvinum was never able to recover from the GEOM-age, until
now maybe. :-)

However, do you think that it's performance is affected too? Last time i
tested, i was not impressed with gvinum's RAID5 performance, write
speeds were very low. RAID0 and RAID1 appeared to be on par with gstripe
and gmirror though. I guess gvinum is primary for people who feel
comfortable with its configuration and user-interface.

> Therefore, I hope many will
> test this patch and help discovering bugs that otherwise would just stay there.

I will be able to test this on my new test system, coming Wedsnesday.
This consists of a modern dualcore AMD 3GHz processor with 4GB RAM and 8
SATA disks. If you like, i can report my findings to the list when i'm done.

Regards,

Veronica