Re: pf 4.1 Update available for testing

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:20:05 +0200
On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 03:47:24AM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> > To make testing easier I'm working on RELENG_6 patches as well, but
> > it will be a bit to get through the fix/build/repeat-cycles.
>
> I can't seem to locate the patches for RELENG_6 on
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/PF41/ - are they available for
> testing?

Oh ... forgot about that ... there are several problems with that.  First
of all RELENG_6 is missing the interface group infrastructure which is
essential to pf now.  This makes it difficult to produce patches.  I
could do it, but ...

> Do you plan on MFC'ing pf-4.1 to RELENG_6 before RELENG_6_3 is
> branched?

... it can never be MFCed due to the ABI breakage in several essential
places (ifnet and pf ioctls).

There is some work going on in OpenBSD 4.2 to reduce userland ABI changes
in the future, but for now updating pf means breaking ABIs means no MFC
unfortunately.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet