Re: Debugging times

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_fer.hr>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:14:43 +0200
David Malone wrote:

> 	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/clock.patch
>
> It checks the return values of the various clock reading functions
> in the kernel and prints an error message if it finds that it can't
> set the clock OK. Some machines have a BIOS that doesn't count the
> day-of-week correctly, and recently FreeBSD has started treating
> this as an error on some platforms.
>
> (This patch won't fix anything, but might produce a more informative
> error message.)

I've got interesting results (in the bad sense of the phrase): I do get
the message "Invalid time in real time clock. Check and reset the time
immediately" (the i386 message) BUT my time gets reset to 0 (midnight
1970.)

I see your patch and it shouldn't do that. Could it be a compiler bug,
so the effects change after trivial code has been changed?