Re: -current AMD64 unable to mount root after buildworld/kernel reboot

From: Gelsema, P \(Patrick\) <"Gelsema,>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:40:17 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, July 12, 2007 22:58, Gelsema, P \(Patrick\) - FreeBSD wrote:
> On Thu, July 12, 2007 00:45, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have got the following issue.
>>> I have installed Current June AMD64 snapshot without any issues. I can
> reboot and the machine comes back up without any issues.
>>> /etc/make.conf is copied from /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf and the
> only changed made are:
>>> cputype?=athlon64
>>> cflags= -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe (only removed the # in front of
>>> the
>>> line)
>>> coptflags=-O -pipe (only removed the # in front of the line)
>>> and the settings regarding cvsup are enabled. yes and
>>> cvsup3.nl.freebsd.org, and only the standard-cvsupfile is uncommented.
> using the /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile with no changes.
> First thing I do is a make update (as of this evening) after which I
> execute the following commands;
>>> #chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
>>> #rm -rf /usr/obj
>>> #make cleandir
>>> #make cleandir
>>> #make -j8 buildworld
>>> #make -j8 buildkernel
>>> #make -j8 installkernel
>>> #make -j8 installworld
>>> #mergemaster
>>> #shutdown -r now
>>> After this the machine reboots, starts FreeBSD and detects everything
> as
>>> it ought to. However the moment it tries to mount root from
>>> ufs:/dev/da0s1a it seems to fail and asks for;
>>> manual root filesystem specification. When I type in manually
>>> ufs:/dev/da0s1a it continues with the following error;
>>> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>>> init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user
>>> mode.
>>> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh.
>>> Hitting enter I get;
>>> ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>>> init: single user shell terminated, restarting.
>>> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh.
>>> When rebooting with kernel.old everything goes ok and I am able to log
>>> on.
>>> Any help much appreciated.
>>> Rgds,
>>> Patrick
>>
>>     You're most likely missing some key components in specifying your
>> disk controller.
>>
>>     Do you have SCSI, SATA, PATA? If you have SCSI/SATA, did you perhaps
>> install your system with GEOM enabled?
>
> SCSI, Adaptec 39320D controller with Seagate SCSI disk. I used GENERIC
> kernel without any modifications. Controller is detected as aic7902 which
> is part of GENERIC.
>
> I swapped Harddisks and now I get the following error when building the
> kernel ( I did get this on the other harddisk as well):
>
> panic: ufs_dirbad: /usr: bad dir ino 2638106 at offset 0: mangled entry
> cpuid = 1
> KDB: enter: panic
> [thread pid 9704 tid 100056 ]
> Stopped at    kdb_enter+0x31:leave
> db>
>
> what could be causing this?
>
> Patrick

Swapped cables, started from scratch, resulting in the manual mount
filesystem question.

Tomorrow I will try to install the I386 version and see if that goes ok.

It might be interesting to mention that this box has been upgraded to 4GB
of memory. Maybe memory allocation, contention? Which tool from ports can
I use to test the memory? Bios (Asus M2N board) does not complain about
memory.