Re: msk watchdog timeout

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:36:56 -0400
wrote:
> >  > > > I just installed 7.0-current as of May 3 on my new computer that
comes
> >  > > > with an on-board Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet.  Every now and
then
> >  > > > if the network throughput comes near several hundred kbytes, I get
the
> >  > > > msk0 watchdog timeout messages:
> >  > > >
> >  > > >      kernel: msk0: watchdog timeout
> >  > > >      msk0: watchdog timeout (missed Tx interrupts) -- recovering
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Although it says recovering, the interface never comes back alive.
> >  > >
> >  > >The above message indicates the driver sent all pending transmission
> >  > >requests but the driver didn't receive corresponding Tx completion
> >  > >interrupts. Not recovering from the watchdog timeout means there are
> >  > >another issues on the driver. However as disabling MSI fixed the
> >  > >issue, I guess it's not fault of msk(4) and it comes from bad/broken
> >  > >MSI implementation of your system. I guess it's time to add your
> >  > >chipset to a PCI quirk table in order to blacklist it.
> >  >
> >  > I do reckon that MSI doesn't work on earlier Intel chipsets.  Mine is
> >  > P965 (on a gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.3), which I suppose is recent
> >  > enough to support MSI, isn't it?  Or could there be other problems
> >
> > Using latest chipsets does not necessarily guarantee working MSI.
>
> I see.  I think we should maybe add P965 to the PCI quirk list for
> broken MSI, then?

Possibly.

> >  > possible?
> >  >

> > Yes. But I couldn't find possible issue on msk(4) yet.
>
> Maybe I was not clear enough.  Could there be something else that
> causes MSI to not working correctly other than the chipset?  I was
> just wondering why I didn't see too many broken MSI reports if most
> Intel chipsets are broken.

If it's not the driver it would be the chipset.  We already don't use MSI on
systems that don't support either PCI-X or PCI-express, so that implicitly
blacklists most older Intel chipsets.  Do you have any other devices in your
system that support MSI?  pciconf -lc output would be useful to look at.

--
John Baldwin