Re: Quick hardware survey - disk INT13 "EDD" services?

From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:33:23 +0200
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 09:18:10PM +0200, Volker wrote:
> On 12/23/-58 20:59, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 May 2007 11:39:53 am Ivan Voras wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a machine that doesn't support EDD / packet interface /
> >> "Extended INT13" interface on its hard drive(s) and is capable of
> >> running 7-CURRENT? (486 and early Pentium class machines?)
> >
> > Specifically, you'd have to have a BIOS with a copyright date older than 1995.
> >

> I don't know anything about EDD or 'packet interface' but I do have a
> Epox MVP-3C or MVP-3G board (socket 7, BIOS dated 1999) and a CPU K6-2
> anything laying around. I think the board will fit your needs (quite a
> bit unsure). I'm somewhat limited on IDE devices (just a 4 or 8g is
> laying around, scsi is not a problem).

EDD is short for 'Enhanced Disk Drive Services' and is an extension to the
BIOS that allows the BIOS to use drives larger than 8 GiB. ("Extended INT
13" and "packet interface" are just other names for the same thing.)

It was introduced in 1995, so almost all motherboards produced after 1995
will have support for it.  You motherboard is thus probably much too modern
and not suitable for this purpose.

I believe that almost all Socket 7 mainboards (except possibly some of the
very earliest models) are too modern.