Re: HEADS UP: netatm disabling taking place shortly

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:52:38 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Robert Watson wrote:

> This is a warning to CVS HEAD users -- per countless previous e-mail
> threads, I will shortly be committing a patch to disable the build of
> netatm.  As you may well know from earlier e-mails, netatm is one of three
> ATM stacks in the FreeBSD CVS repository, and currently the only one that is
> not MPSAFE.  We will be disabling the build of netatm in 7.0, but continuing
> to ship source code so that efforts to make it MPSAFE are made easier.  If
> we don't have MPSAFEty work done in the next few months, we can remove the
> source code from 7.x/8.x.  I will send out a reversion patch that may be
> applied with "patch -R" to re-enable the netatm build once the final patch
> is committed.

This patch has now been committed.  The commit message is below, and a patch
for use with "patch -R" is attached.  An updated NET_NEEDS_GIANT patch will
likely be sent out tonight or tomorrow.

rwatson     2007-07-14 21:49:24 UTC

   FreeBSD src repository

   Modified files:
     etc/mtree            BSD.include.dist BSD.usr.dist
     include              Makefile
     lib                  Makefile
     rescue/rescue        Makefile
     sbin/atm             Makefile
     share/examples       Makefile
     sys/conf             NOTES files options
     sys/modules          Makefile
     sys/modules/netgraph/atm Makefile
     sys/netatm           atm_proto.c
     usr.bin/kdump        mkioctls
     usr.sbin             Makefile
   Log:
   Disconnect netatm from the build as it is not MPSAFE and relies on
   NET_NEEDS_GIANT, which will shortly be removed.  This is done in a
   away that it may be easily reattached to the build before 7.1 if
   appropriate locking is added.  Specifics:

   - Don't install netatm include files
   - Disconnect netatm command line management tools
   - Don't build libatm
   - Don't include ATM parts in rescue or sysinstall
   - Don't install sample configuration files and documents
   - Don't build kernel support as a module or in NOTES
   - Don't build netgraph wrapper nodes for netatm

   This removes the last remaining consumer of NET_NEEDS_GIANT.

   Reviewed by:    harti
   Discussed with: bz, bms
   Approved by:    re (kensmith)

   Revision  Changes    Path
   1.118     +11 -10    src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist
   1.327     +3 -2      src/etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist
   1.274     +3 -2      src/include/Makefile
   1.222     +2 -1      src/lib/Makefile
   1.56      +4 -2      src/rescue/rescue/Makefile
   1.6       +6 -4      src/sbin/atm/Makefile
   1.51      +14 -10    src/share/examples/Makefile
   1.1444    +9 -7      src/sys/conf/NOTES
   1.1238    +103 -99   src/sys/conf/files
   1.602     +6 -6      src/sys/conf/options
   1.536     +10 -3     src/sys/modules/Makefile
   1.7       +3 -1      src/sys/modules/netgraph/atm/Makefile
   1.16      +1 -1      src/sys/netatm/atm_proto.c
   1.39      +5 -4      src/usr.bin/kdump/mkioctls
   1.370     +4 -3      src/usr.sbin/Makefile

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge