Re: Reminder: NET_NEEDS_GIANT, debug.mpsafenet going away in 7.0

From: Pascal Hofstee <caelian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:28:26 +0200
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 13:21 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> This is a reminder e-mail that, in the very near future, Giant compatibility
> shims for network protocols will be removed.  These shimmed allowed Giant to
> be re-enabeld over the network stack as a result of linking in a service that
> required Giant (now all removed), or by setting the debug.mpsafenet variable
> to 1.  This means that the following will no longer be present:
>
>    debug.mpsafenet sysctl
>    debug_mpsafenet global variable
>    NET_NEEDS_GIANT()
>    NET_LOCK_GIANT(), NET_UNLOCK_GIANT(), NET_ASSERT_GIANT()
>    NET_CALLOUT_MPSAFE
>
> All instances of NET_{LOCK,UNLOCK,ASSERT}_GIANT() will be removed as they will
> no be no-ops.

Ehrm ... i am not 100% sure here but what will this mean for those of us
running qemu on 7.x systems ... if i recall correctly qemu requires aio
for at least DMA which on 6.x at least still issues below warning when
kldloaded:

WARNING: Network stack Giant-free, but aio requires Giant.
    Consider adding 'options NET_WITH_GIANT' or setting
debug.mpsafenet=0

Does this removal of debug.mpsafenet mean that aio on CURRENT is now
GIANT free .. or does this mean that we'll be seeing problems with qemu
on CURRENT ?

--
  Pascal Hofstee