Re: ULE/SCHED_SMP diff for 7.0, buildkernel & thanks.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, youshi10_at_u.washington.edu wrote:

> Unfortunately those results are still based on 2.6.20, not 2.6.22 (2 minor
> patch revision difference).
>
> I assume that that's for a vanilla Linux kernel?

Look more closely; The green line is linux-2.6.21 with the new glibc.  I
sent my kernel config to some linux hackers to look at.  We removed some
minor debugging code to get these results.  I have also tested with 2.6.22
with no real change.  Although many other people saw great improvements.
I will update to fedora core 7 eventually although I supposedly have the
relevant fixes.

In my mind I hope that linux addresses their issues and that really isn't
my primary concern.  My primary concern is that freebsd is now becoming
competitive on higher-end server class hardware for a variety of
workloads where it was not before.  I benchmarked linux just to see where
we are at as they are generally considered fast and scalable.

The credit for the great improvements we've seen from 6 to 7 should go to
the many developers who have put a lot of hard work into locking
individual subsystems and the primitives.  The scheduler is only able to
do better now because there is less contention over all.

Thank you,
Jeff