Re: Getting/Forcing Greater than 4KB Buffer Allocations

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:43:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Kip Macy wrote:

>> Is "sysctl hw.pagesize" different on the two systems?  It sure looks
>> like the first machine is using a 4KB pagesize, whereas the second
>> machine is using an 8KB pagesize...
>
> There is no such thing as 8k physical pages on ia32 or x86_64.

I actually made a patch for Isilon that makes an 8k virtual page size.  It
helps with issues like this and reduces the size of the page array and the
number of entities that the page cache is manging.  It is binary
compatible with user-space although it introduces some complexity into the
VM system.

Jeff