Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern sched_ule.c (fwd)

From: Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <almarrie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:54:54 +0300
On 7/18/07, Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your help.  In summary it sounds like there are two
> issues.
>
> 1)  kqemu explicitly uses sched_lock.  I'll see if I can contact the
> author about fixing this.
>
> 2)  As much as a 6-7% slowdown on buildworld on dual core machines as
> compared to 4BSD.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do anything about this.
> Once you get to 4 or 8 cores and -j8 or more they even out with ULE having
> significantly less system time.  I don't know if I want to compromise that
> for slightly better dual core compile times.
>
> This is in the tree for 7.0 now though.  I'm very excited to see this
> happen.

Thank you Jeff, Dr. Robert, jhb, and the rest of you commiters who
worked very hard to make this comes true, and we finally got rid of
giant lock, and FreeBSD is fast as we we knew it in the 90s.

I have UP P4 2.0 GHz i386 and AMD64  powered by Intel C2D E6600 using
it and it's so solid since more than 24 hours and no stability of slow
performance issues appeared till now :)

Both running heavy MySQL server with too many queries make it busy 24/7.

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal