Problems connecting to public WiFi with latest 80211 code

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:47:40 -0700
I had not seen this problem because I do not use the wpa_supplicant to
connect to open networks when at home, but I am on travel this week and
it has been a real pain.

System is current as of this afternoon and is running on a ThinkPad T43
with an Atheros 5212 mini-PCI card.

When the system comes up, the wpa_supplicant starts, but the system
never scans except with 'authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy ON' and
never tries to associate with an open AP even though I have an entry in
wpa_supplicant.conf for that network. I have to issue a 'ifconfig
wepmode off' to get it to associate.

Even then, it still won't always associate until I ifconfig the
interface down and up. Once I do this, it seems to associate rather
quickly.

I suspect that the problem reported on mobile by Matthias Apitz and jhb
may be a part of the problem, but I think the inability to get to
authmode OPEN is different.

I use the supplicant at home and it works fine, but that is NOT an open
network, so I don't need the interface to run in OPEN mode.

Any idea what is going on and if it can be fixed or worked around?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)