Re: Slow networkperformance in current?

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:00:28 -0700
On 7/20/07, Alexandre Biancalana <biancalana_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/20/07, Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am actually quite impressed with the stack right now, with our new
> > Oplin hardware and the ixgbe driver I have 9.8 Gb/s pumping thru
> > it. Of course its all about adequate hardware, configuration, and
> > tuning.
>

> Can you post the configuration tuning done ?

Get rid of INVARIANT and WITNESS of course.
Use ULE scheduler
Use MTU of 9000
Set interrupt storm threshold up to 8000 (default is 1000), if we didnt
do this the channel would get throttled.

Then we need to make sure MSI/X is enabled, and set the number
of RX queues to 8 (this is Oplin specific).

The ixgbe driver uses 4K jumbo clusters as long as you set MTU
up. I have experimented with Kip's patch for 9K and it helps a bit
but mainly it improves cpu utilization.

Beyond this doing 10G is very sensitive to things like cpu's, frontside bus,
memory, etc, but these are things that I didn't personally set up, I just
tell them to give me a kick ass machine :)

Jack