Re: freebsd-current_at_lists.freebsd.org

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:28:32 -0400 (EDT)
Rui Paulo writes:
 > > I'm about to plug the firewire disk into another box and install using
 > > make installworld DESTDIR=/firewire_disk, but this is the sort of
 > > thing that would really, really put off your typical FreeBSD would-be
 > > adopter.  Is there anything we can do to fix this in the 7.0
 > > timeframe?
 >
 > As a workaround try using a 6.2 CD.

 > > On a somewhat related note, how well does FreeBSD even work on
 > > an iMac?  Can we suspend/resume SMP machines yet?
 >
 > No.

Argh.  Screwed at every turn.  As it turns out, I can't even make my
machine boot a "legacy" OS from a firewire disk.  Both FreeBSD and
Ubuntu lead to a "no bootable device" error when booting directly, and
rEFIt also fails (with some interesting comments regarding how apple's
firmware does not deal well with booting a legacy OS from firwewire).
I ran out of time before I could shuffle MacOSX to the external drive
to free up the internal one for FreeBSD.

Oh well, back to MacOSX and dealing with X crashing every few weeks.

Drew