Re: wireless

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:49:00 +1200
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:42:43PM -0500, Craig Boston wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:48:21PM +1200, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > You can test this WIP.
>
> Hi,
>
> This patch definitely is a big step in the right direction.
>
> The first time I booted with the patch, there were so many debug
> messages spamming the console it made the machine completely unusable
> (VESA raster console couldn't keep up, heh).
>
> After setting debug.ipw=0 things seem to be working much better.  I can
> manually associate with an open AP just fine.  Don't have any in range
> with WEP to try at the moment.

I diffed it straight from my dev box and forgot that I had bumped up the
debugging quite high. You can change ipw_debug near the top of the file
back to zero.

> The big news however, which I've been holding my breath about since
> skimming the patch this morning but didn't want to be too hopeful until
> I actually tried it, is WPA (TKIP) works!  That's something that ipw
> hasn't supported at all until now, so I'm quite excited about it.
>
> The first time when I ran wpa_supplicant by hand it seemed to work for a
> minute, but lost connectivity while dhclient was requesting a lease.  It
> worked long enough to get a NAK response for an old address, but never
> saw any response to discover requests after that.  Manually setting an
> address didn't help either.  ifconfig still showed Associated but no
> packets were being received.  There was an "ipw0: scan suck" message on
> the console right about this time but nothing else to indicate a
> problem.
>
> After rebooting and letting it happen automatically with the rc scripts
> it seems to be stable now.  I'm not 100% sure how often TKIP changes the
> key, but I'm certain this has been up and running long enough for it to
> have rotate a few times at least.
>
> Will have to do some more testing to see if the stuck scan was a fluke
> or if I can reproduce it.

Thanks for the report. The reason I hadnt sent it out until now was that
I am also bumping into these problems on my test system. I have been
sorting out some ndis issues lately but will get back to testing ipw
this week.

cheers,
Andrew