Re: installworld breaks my FreeBSD/powerpc system!!!

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:23:25 -0700
On Jul 25, 2007, at 12:35 PM, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> It seems that installworld from yesterday sources severely
> corrupted my 7-CURRENT FreeBSD/ppc installation. :(
>
> I believe this is caused by the recent libc changes that go
> together with dynamic linker changes, but since dynamic linker is
> installed *after* libc in installworld process, one who does source
> upgrade ends up with broken system containing old dynamic linker,
> while new libc after installworld explodes! :(((

I think it's a mmap(2) problem, rather than a libc/ld-elf problem. I
suspect
that the peter_at_'s change to not align arguments is causing the
problem. It's
difficult to analyze because I don't trust the output of truss and
ktrace
anymore in this case: the file offset argument is garbage according
to those
tools. The file offset is garbage on all platforms, not just PowerPC :-/

Other signs of mmap problems: dhclient complaining about a corrupted
lease
file and rpc.statd complaining about an invalid database file...

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to look into it right now.
FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com