Re: installworld breaks my FreeBSD/powerpc system!!!

From: Peter Grehan <grehan_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:47:21 -0700
>> > I think it's a mmap(2) problem, rather than a libc/ld-elf problem. I
>> > suspect
>> > that the peter_at_'s change to not align arguments is causing the problem.

  Yes and no :)

  ppc is 32-bit/big-endian which doesn't sit too nice for 64-bit syscall
returns and FreeBSD's td_retval[0|1] scheme. There is some special-case
code in powerpc/trap.c that obscurely catches these cases and swaps the
retvals to match the ppc calling convention.

  With mmap (and others) moving from the indirect _syscall() to a direct
call, that code fragment needs to be updated and the backward-compat
cases handled. I'll see if I can knock up something and test it.

  arm/be will have the same issue, Olivier cc'd.

later,

Peter.