Re: FreeBSD on intel Mac

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Moran writes:

 > Is it the case that I can install and boot freebsd on an intel mac
 > (uses EFI, not BIOS) currently (without using Boot Camp), or do I
 > have to wait until FreeBSD 7 for this functionality?

There are various gotachs with Intel Macs:

When you have an Apple GPT partitioned disk, you may need to install
from 6.x.  This is because libdisk causes sysinstall to exit (leading to
"going nowhere without my init") when libdisk crashes with "BARF ...."

You can't install a non-EFI native OS on an external firewire drive
and be able to boot it (at least on my iMac).  I tried various
partition styles (pure MBR, plus MBR + GPT), booting by selecting
"windows" from the alt-key menu, booting via rEFIt, Ubuntu Fiesty in
addition to FreeBSD, etc.  That's about 8 or 12 hours of my life I'll
never get back :(

Is anybody working on an EFI loader?

Drew