Re: TERM={xterm-r5,xterm-r6} behaving badly with man(1)

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:21:19 +0200
Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > This is the *correct* behaviour.  The termcap entry is supposed to
> > reflect the capabilities of the terminal, not your personal preferences.
> > If you don't like it, you can override it using the TERMCAP environment
> > variable.
> Well, something did change recently to get this behavior.

New libncurses perhaps?  The termcap file itself hasn't changed since
late 2005.

>  And why do we have a termcap xterm entry that doesn't exhibit this
> behavior?

Because somebody modified it to reflect his personal preference:

xterm|xterm-color|X11 terminal emulator:\
        :ti_at_:te_at_:tc=xterm-xfree86:

the "ti_at_:te_at_:" part disables the save / restore functionality.

See for instance the log messages for src/share/termcap/termcap.src
revisions 1.129 and 1.130.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no