Re: (ZFS?): panic: lockmgr: locking against myself

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:10:26 +0200 (CEST)
Peter Schuller wrote:
 > Based on the last printout prior to panic, it is the second call in the
 > function (code line wise; i.e., when locking rootvnode) that is triggering
 > the panic, on this vnode:
 >
 > vnode 0xffffff00037473e0: tag devfs, type VDIR
 >   usecount 0, writecount 0, refcount 1 mountedhere 0xffffff0003745ca0
 >   flags (VV_ROOT)
 >     lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xffffff00010e6680 (pid 1)
 >
 > Also, this time I triggered it after having dropped a drive (as opposed to
 > when I then booted back up again with two drives).
 >
 > Am I understanding this correctly that the root filesystem has suddenly become
 > devfs?

FreeBSD boots with DEVFS mounted as the root filesystem,
then mounts the real root filesystem and remounts DEVFS
to /dev.

That's because there's a chicken-and-egg problem:  DEVFS
is required in order to be able to mount any filesystem,
including the (real) root filesystem.

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh