Re: HEADS UP: BIND 9.4.1 imported

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists_at_lists.zabbadoz.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:11:52 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Doug Barton wrote:

Hi,

> Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
>> Hello Doug,
>>
>> You wrote on Sunday, June 3, 2007, 3:43:21 AM:
>>
>> DB> After extensive testing, I've upgraded the BIND in the base to version
>> DB> 9.4.1. This version contains a lot of performance improvements,
>> DB> especially for threading, so I've re-enabled it by default.
>>
>> Is there knobs to build bind without threads?
>
> I wasn't planning to add one, but if someone can show me convincing
> proof that it's needed, I will be glad to do so.
>
> Why would you not want it to be threaded?

I haven't checked which part (apart from named) might need libpthread
(or equivalent). One thing comes to my mind:
having installations without a thread library installed as in
 	WITHOUT_LIBC_R=
 	WITHOUT_LIBPTHREAD=
 	WITHOUT_LIBTHR=
(or whatever an up-to-date current would be).

I remember that at least pppctl is one of the few other programs
that needs a threading library in base.

/bz