Re: Issues with kernel / userland drivers after recent install and upgrade

From: <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 09:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 youshi10_at_u.washington.edu wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 youshi10_at_u.washington.edu wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, illoai_at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/06/07, youshi10_at_u.washington.edu <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>>> What SCSI devices do you have?
>>
>> No real SCSI devices on my desktop; just the generic ones like cd, ses, etc.
>> (In addition to those) just ahc on my server, but I don't think I'm going to
>> go upgrading quite yet on my server because I don't want to kill one of my
>> disk's functionality..

<snip>

>> I do WITHOUT_MODULES=* just for speed and to reduce the amount of stuff that
>> gets compiled with buildworld. I figure that everything important should be
>> compiled statically into the kernel, but then again that's me, and since my
>> server/desktop aren't production machines I can take them down whenever I
>> need to modify the kernel.
>
> Yes, that's most likely true about the lag, but why did it used to load and now
> it doesn't >_>???

<snip>

> Well, I did. It turns out a lot of that got deleted when I ran make delete-old,
> which begs the question is usbd obsolete in 7-CURRENT?

After doing some researching, yes usbd(8) was made obsolete in favor of devd(8). So, that part of the question's answered, and appears to be in shape, but the device nodes still aren't being detected properly under 7-CURRENT (they were being detected properly under 6.2-RELEASE).

A printout of /dev along with my dmesg is attached.

> According to usbdevs I don't have any devices attached, whatsoever (other than
> USB hubs):
>
> [root_at_optimus /home/gcooper]# usbdevs -vd
> Controller /dev/usb0:
> addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> Intel(0x0000)
> , rev 1.00
>  uhub0
> port 1 powered
> port 2 powered
> Controller /dev/usb1:
> addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> Intel(0x0000)
> , rev 1.00
>  uhub1
> port 1 powered
> port 2 powered
> Controller /dev/usb2:
> addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
> Intel(0x0000)
> , rev 1.00
>  uhub2
> port 1 powered
> port 2 powered
> usbdevs: /dev/usb3: Input/output error
> Controller /dev/usb4:
> addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
> Intel(0x0000)
> , rev 1.00
>  uhub4
> port 1 enabled
> port 2 enabled
> port 3 enabled
> port 4 enabled
> port 5 enabled
> port 6 enabled
> port 7 enabled
> port 8 enabled
>
> I really wonder what /dev/usb3 and /dev/usb4 map to. Any ideas how to get this
> info?
>
>>> % dmesg -a | grep hci
>>> perhaps?
>>
>> I'll check on that again, but all I saw with an OHCI in it was the firewire
>> stuff IIRC (something about Texas instruments, FWOHCI, etc).
>
> ehci and uhci are loaded (guess my MB doesn't support ohci).
>
> FWOHCI is just the TI onboard firewire controller.
>
> Thanks, and any suggestions and ideas are more than welcome and greatly
> appreciated :),
>
> -Garrett

For now I suppose my only workaround is to go buy a PS/2 keyboard, but it seems kind of silly given the circumstances. However, I need to work on my SoC project in a native environment, so desperate times call for desperate measures.

-Garrett