Re: Kudos to everyone who worked on the gcc-4.2 merge

From: Garrett Cooper <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:26:34 -0700
Joao Barros wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
>> youshi10_at_u.washington.edu wrote:
>>
>> > I just wanted to thank everyone who helped make the gcc 4.2 merge
>> > possible -- I can see a noticeable performance increase (1.5x ~ 2.0x
>> > load time decrease) in my server (P4 HTT with SMP).
>> >
>> > This will be one of the great changes that will put FreeBSD back on
>> > the map closer to many Linux distros.
>> >
>> > Once gcc 4.2.1 gets in the tree, things will be much better, I'm
>> > sure :).
>> >
>> > Thank you very much, and let me know if you need testing with gcc
>> > 4.2.1 when it rolls around ;).
>> >
>> > -Garrett
>> >
>> Thanks, but I think kudos are addressed to wrong people. I very much
>> doubt that GCC can be responsible for any, let alone dramatic,
>> performance differences. Most likely you see effects of hard work done
>> by SMP scalability guys.
>>
>> --
>> Alexander Kabaev
>>

> I emailed Garrett but forgot to cc current_at_
>
> My question was: "Can you specify the workload that you verify that
> much improvement?"
> Like you I had my doubts gcc was responsible for such an improvement.

The differences I saw (ok, limited), were a decrease in bootup time
(about 15-30 seconds faster), login via ssh (almost instantaneous when
the sshd thread seemingly hasn't gone to sleep), restarting the samba
daemon (3 seconds to ~1 second), and running make buildworld and
installworld.

The only thing that I've noticed so far is that acpi is broken again...
I was shocked when I hit my power button and my machine instantly shut
off 0_0...

Synced to HEAD yesterday and rebuilt.

ASUS P4800DX motherboard with a P4 3.0GHz Northwood chip.

-Garrett