Re: HEADS UP: BIND 9.4.1 imported

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:21:51 -0700
On Jun 2, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> For the vast majority of users, this should be a noop. Please test,
>> especially if you have a heavier loaded name server, and report any
>> issues.
>
> Also I'll remark that we remain very interested in getting access to
> either a busy nameserver or the data stream from one, in order to
> profile FreeBSD kernel activity and look for places to optimize
> performance.

I've mentioned this before, but the dns/adns port provides some handy
utilities for putting a DNS server under high loads.

Something like the following command will generate anywhere from 200
queries/sec to 1500+ queries/sec, depending on the IPs involved in
the logfile you use, and how rapidly the remote nameservers respond:

   /usr/local/bin/adnslogres -c 500 < /var/log/httpd-access.log >! /
var/log/httpd-access.log.dns

--
-Chuck