Re: Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_fxq.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:23:20 +0200
* Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>  - Most programs (though not all) will run faster, because
>    in amd64 mode there are twice as many general-purpose
>    registers, giving compilers much better opportunities
>    for optimizations and caching of values, and reducing
>    slow memory accesses.

And the assumptions you can make about the processor's capabilities.
It's very safe to assume an AMD64 processor has MMX and SSE, so when you
ship binaries, you don't need to be conservative about this.

> In practice there's (almost) only one reason not to run
> FreeBSD/amd64 on amd64-capable hardware:  If you depend
> on a certain piece of software which is known not to run
> correctly in 64bit mode.  Fortunately those are not many.

I guess most of those are still waiting for a 64-bits nvidia.ko.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/