Re: Intel C2D COREs not used equally in FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT i386

From: <youshi10_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 15:26:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 eculp_at_encontacto.net wrote:

> Quoting "Kenneth P. Stox" <ken_at_stox.org>:
>
>> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 11:40 -0500, eculp_at_encontacto.net wrote:
>>> I also had the idea that AMD had purchased a chunk of nvidia
>>> which made the decision make even more sense to me.
>>
>> AMD bought ATI, not NVidia.
>
> Thanks Kenneth, but now I am confused.  Why would all the AMD64 laptops that
> I've been looking at have nvidia video?  Doesn't matter.  I would assume that
> xorg would work with ATI, going to double check with HP to confirm which the
> laptop has, I know I am not crazy about HP either but at least they have
> service where I am.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ed

Business contracts. HP probably gets ATI cheaper on bulk compared to nVidia.
The ATI / AMD merge happened in the past 5 months too, so it's not going to affect purchasing for a while I think..

Lenovo (formerly IBM) is still selling ATI card in their laptops even though they do house their hardware with Intel CPUs and chipsets.

-Garrett