Re: Why not remove polling(4) from 7.0?

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:30:27 +1200
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 12:10:31PM +0300, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> Almost all cases polling(4) adds additional latency.
> There are some cases that polling(4) helps a little but most cases it
> wouldn't.
>
> So why not remove it or switch to adaptive polling as em(4) instead of
> resorting to polling?

Are you just talking about em(4) or removing polling for all drivers? It
is helpful in some cases, for example I run FreeBSD on a Nortel
contivity 1010 box where interrupts do not work on the fxp interface and
yet its quite usable with polling mode.

Its not enabled by default so its up to the user if they want to make
use of it.

cheers,
Andrew