Re: AMD64 panic on boot

From: Chris Lee <clee_at_kde.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:24:58 -0700
On 6/10/07, Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-current_at_tharned.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Chris Lee wrote:
>
> > I built a custom kernel and it says that it can't map interrupts for
> > certain devices (like my ATA controller), which prevents it from being
> > able to find my disks and mount my root fs.
> >
> > I *think* my kernel configuration is fairly standard. It's available
> > at http://c133.org/freebsd-7.conf if anybody would mind taking a look
> > and offering some pointers. I cvsup'd yesterday around midnight, and
> > my hardware is a pretty standard nforce4 mobo with a dual-core Opteron
> > for the main CPU.
> >

> Your config lacks a "machine" directive.  I think you want "machine amd64"
> above "cpu HAMMER".

It turns out I'm just an idiot.

With 6.2-RELEASE, I had to boot without ACPI in order to avoid kernel
panics under load; I have a USB keyboard and apparently USB events can
cause kernel panics while the kernel is heavily loaded down (like,
say, during a 'make buildworld' or a 'make buildkernel').

So I instinctively booted the new 7.0-CURRENT kernel with ACPI
disabled as well, and it couldn't map any of my device interrupts.
When I rebooted with ACPI enabled, it actually booted and let me log
in.

Now the only issue that I have is that sending SIGINFO to a 'dd'
process causes a kernel panic. Any ideas about that one?