Intel 965 and AGP

From: Novembre <novembre_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:59:10 -0500
Hello,

Is Intel G965 supported on -CURRENT? It seems that the chipset cannot be
detected as AGP by the kernel module 'agp' (it is a PCI Express chip in
reality, as far as I know), so 'i915' and 'drm' modules cannot be loaded,
and the X.org driver for i810 cannot be used to start X.
Previously, I had 6.2-RELEASE installed, and that did not support the
chipset (no agpgart device in /dev/, no 'agp' kernel module loaded). I tried
updating some source files (agp.c, agp_intel.c, agp_i810.c, agpreg.h) using
the -CURRENT sources and patching agp.c and agpreg.h with Eric Anholt's
submitted patch ( see
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?1177096992.5641.11.camel ), but that
didn't work as well; no matter what I tried with 6.2-RELEASE, no agp device
was detected. Then I erased my -RELEASE install and tried -STABLE with the
same results - no agp present. So I tried installing 7.0-CURRENT (though I
could not install it, but that's another issue). Looking at the output of
the system while booting, it was the only time that instead of
----------
pci0: <display, VGA> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
I did get something else (sorry, I don't remember the exact output now, but
'no driver attached' was not there and some hex address was present). Then I
tried loading the 'i915' and 'drm' modules at the loader prompt, and 'drm'
said something along the lines of 'no agp device present' (again, i don't
remember the exact message), so it did not load. This is all before
installing the 7.0-CURRENT (which I could not do), so maybe if I use Eric
Anholt's patch for agp.c, it'll work.

I would greatly appreciate any help here...